Monday, July 2, 2007

Brogie's toad

About a month ago we were at the park for playgroup and just before we were leaving the kids saw a toad under the picnic tables. It took them a couple of minutes to catch it and Brogan kept holding it upside down so it was making all kinds of noise to tell him that he didn't like it. We needed to go so I told him to go put it out in the grassy area where there was a little creek (more like a path of standing water with the most awful stench-eeewwww!) since it was a very hot day. Brogan kept walking around putting the toad down then picking it up and putting it somewhere else to find just the right spot. He finally did and we left it there for the other kids from our group to play with. Brogan really, really wanted to bring it home with us.
Later that night, I went out to the van to get something and as I approached I saw something jump in front of me and jump behind the tire. I let out my version of a scream - hahaha - since I can't really scream and realized that it was a toad and called for Brogan to come outside to see it. I knew he would be soooo happy. He and everyone except Aidan came out and Ty got it out from under the van and gave it to Brogan. Aidan was in the shower so we decided to give him a little scare. Brogan pulled back the curtain and set it in the back of the shower. Aidan thought it was a rock at first and when it jumped it startled him - it was great!


Well again Brogan kept holding holding it upside down like the other one and it was making noise too to tell him he didn't like it. By the way, Brogan thought this was the same toad from the park and that it had followed us to the car and jumped on and came home with us. I love his little mind! He wanted to keep this one too but I said we didn't have anything to keep it in and it would be happier to live outside. I told him to water the bushes in front of the house and he could set it under one to keep nice and cool. Once again he didn't want to let it go and had to find the perfect spot.
And here he is.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh, we had a very similar experience with our Ben finding a toad at the park. Boy was he mad that we made him leave it behind. He even called his friend's dad who is a Park Ranger to check the rules about taking toads from the Park. Thankfully, the dad was on our side!