Sunday, August 19, 2007

Air Center Criterium

Ty telling about the races:
This was the last race, the criterium (photos below), of a 3 day stage race, kind of like the Tour de France but 90% easier. The first race of the stage was an 8 mile time trial, which is a race against the clock as well as your competitors. Aidan's time was 24 min. The 2nd stage was a grueling 24 mile race from Boca Dam to Stampede Lake. It was a long hilly race that took about an hour and a half. The 3rd day I didn't want to go because I was so tired from the other races, but Aidan called asking if we were going to go. He really wanted to do it, so we went. The 3rd stage is a criterium which is a race much like a circle track. We ride as many laps (1 mile) as possible for 30 min. You ride in a pack drafting, handling and strategy is the key to this game as I found out being my first criterium. I think it is the funnest bike race because it's like running and it maxes out your cardio and heart rate. This was a tough stage race overall for Aidan as well as me. I am really proud that quitting was never an option and he never whined or complained.

Aidan telling about the races:
I had lots of fun in the time trial because I kept up with a lot of the guys. And I was the only kid there. I was the only kid at all 3 races. After Dad finished his time trial race, he turned around and came back to find me and I was a lot closer to the finish this year than I was where he found me last year. The 2nd stage, the hills were something I've never done before. Going downhill was my favorite part! I got to 41 mph! I was having a hard time picking up speed because I didn't change my gears at the right time. But I still had a blast doing this race. In the beginning of the crit (3rd stage) I kept up with the pack, but by the 3rd lap I was falling behind. I eventually got lapped a bunch of times. It was pretty hard doing a flat land race like that, especially going against the wind. It was fun doing my first crit race. At the end I won a free pizza.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Way to go guys! I would be lucky to ride on flat ground or down hill, forget the uphill stuff! (huff, puff, huff, puff)
I think its awesome that Aidan was the only kid at the 3 stages and ... I love that he wanted to finish what he started! Funny how kids kinda unknowingly pressure us to do things that we might just give up on.
Did Aidan eat his whole free pizza alone? :)

Love ya more than all the times your pedals turned around,
Grammie/Becky

Anonymous said...

Great job guys! So glad that Ty and Aidan have something that they can motivate each other at. You must have had two tired sweaty guys at the end of that day!

Hilary said...

I should have fixed what Aidan said to I won a coupon for a free pizza to Eclipse Pizza. He hasn't used it yet - it's so far away from our house. Me or Ty will have to take him on a date sometime and go use it.

CC said...

holy crap!